Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Technology

In an ever changing technological world there is a lot to be said about the technological tools that can be used in mathematics. The past generation was stuck in a very dangerous place, the students knew far more about the technology than the adults who were teaching them. This created a very strong technological push in education. Now, master teachers, like my Novice teacher, are much more comfortable with technology. However, the newest generation of teachers, entering the field, has the biggest advantage.

One of the most important aspects of working with technology is the comfort level. Personally, I am very comfortable with technology. I enjoy playing with programs and learning what they can do and how they can be used in the classroom. I can directly compare this will my parents generation, they are almost afraid of technology; afraid to break it, afraid to make mistakes, afraid to play. But because I was virtually raised with all the technology that I use now, I have a very different view of the tools.

Two of the most valuable technological tools that I have learned about in class are the smart board and the geometers sketchpad. Both are tools that are going to be very commonplace, especially in the upcoming years. I was very impressed with the wide ranging applications that both tools are equipped to handle. Its amazing how much the programs have improved in the last few years. Furthermore, it is exciting to think that these programs will continue to be improved and how much more they will be able to do in the future. The most important thing that I have taken away from exposure to these programs is that as a teacher I have to take the initiative to make myself comfortable with the programs. These technologies are not a gimmick. In the same way that math manipulatives cannot save mathematics, neither can technology. There is still the pressing need for good teachers and strong instruction. However, technology can be used in congruence with the existing curriculum to augment and supplement learning.

There have also been some wonderful programs that I have been exposed to outside of class. Just recently I attended a webinar on mathematics visualization using internet software. There are a number of programs such as moodles and thatquiz that can be used in the teaching and assessing mathematical concepts. I also feel that some of the illumination applets are extremely useful. However, as with all things these programs must be coupled with instruction, guidance and hands-on exploration.

There are times when the natural constraints of technology are a benefit. There are also times when the nature of technology programs and software limit students understanding and ability to explore the material. Therefore, it is the teacher’s know how that makes or breaks a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment